Saturday, July 16, 2016

Mad Men actors about Hamm

  
actor Danny Strong :
Crushable: Jon Hamm isn’t running around going "Holy shit, I’m Don Draper bitches!"
Danny: Ha, no! Jon is such a cool guy, and so funny too. But there’s scenes you have to bang out over the course of the day, and that’s the priority. I didn’t get any pressure from people going "You know, we’re the most acclaimed show of the decade…" They’ve been doing this a really long time.
http://www.crushable.com/2010/10/26/Entertainment
actor Ben Feldman :
The scene everyone remembers from "Dark Shadows" is the elevator ride Ginsberg takes with Draper. Ginsberg’s peeved that his ad didn’t make the presentation and tells Draper: "I feel sorry for you."- And Draper comes back with: "I don’t think about you at all." Jon Hamm as a person is a really cool, down-to-earth guy. But Jon as a character can be an imposing presence, especially when you’re standing shoulder to shoulder with him in an elevator and his character is threatened by yours.
"I don’t think about you at all" is now right up there with the show’s most-quoted lines.-And I don’t think there was a single take where I as a person wasn’t genuinely offended and hurt by that moment. There’s a lot of reality playing those scenes. Jon’s a great actor.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/22/entertainment/
One of the actor’s favorite parts of being a part of the cast was the opportunity to work with Jon Hamm.  “When he’s in character, he’s in character, and there were moments where I was wondering, ‘Wait, does Jon kind of hate me?’ Feldman said.  “They’re sort of one in the same when you’re on set shooting.  But Jon’s a great actor, really intelligent.  He directed my first episode, so I felt a little more comfortable by the time we did any acting together.  He was a part of my first time on the show, and I was a part of his first time directing.  It was definitely scary.”
http://www.dailyactor.com/tv/ben-feldman-mad-men-emmy-nomination-jon-hamm/
Mad Men” alum Ben Feldman, who currently stars in “Superstore,” remembers the kerfuffle caused when Confidential reported that Jon Hamm was told by AMC to refrain from going commando while filming the acclaimed series.
It was never discussed,” Feldman says, “or even thought of on set. That cast was very anti-taking-the-bait from press and social media.”
Feldman insists that he had no interest in further investigating the situation.
I would say with complete honesty that I have never checked out Jon Hamm's penis,” he vowed.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/hamm-no-big-deal-article-1.3865609

actor Mark Moses :
It dépends how the writers see you and believe what you can bring to the role. Sometimes there are breakout roles, like my friend Bryan Cranston got as Walter White. You’ll be going and doing a series for years and you get some recognition from it, and all of a sudden one role comes up and bang. Same thing happened with Jon Hamm. What did Jon Hamm do before Mad Men? I don’t know, some stuff. He did some stuff. We all did. But Mad Men was this decisive, career-changing role. We all kind of hope we get them, and then when you do get them, you’re swamped with so much work you want a break
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/duck-dynasty-mark-moses
                                           
 
actress Adria Tennor :
Can you tell us about your time on Mad Men ? Has that conclued for you ?
I’m not allowed to talk about unaired shows/seasons so I can’t tell you if my time on Mad Men has concluded, but I can tell you that Mad Men is one of the credits I am most proud of on my resume. I was invited to audition for the show before any of the episodes had aired by Laura Schiff, the casting director. She had come to see me in my one-woman show, StripSearch, and become familiar with my work so when Matthew Weiner was looking for a group of actors to play Don & Betty Draper’s core group of friends, she thought of me..... I only had a few lines here and there in prior episodes, but in season 5, I got to come back as a guest lead with a really moving storyline involving Betty’s scare with cancer. That episode was actually directed by Jon Hamm, and he was terrific. Actors always make great directors. I really love the show, so it was really gratifying to be involved in a production with which I had so much admiration and respect.........

Anything interesting you can tell us about working on the series?
Oops! I think I just did that! But here’s a sweet bit of info. The day we shot the scene where Betty and I have tea at the Roosevelt, we actually shot that in the Biltmore in downtown Los Angeles. At lunch, Mari Weiss (who played Cecilia, the Fortuneteller) and I went through the lunch line and found a table to eat together. We had bonded as guest cast often does because we’re usually the only ones who don’t know anyone else on set because we’re guests! That day Jon Hamm went through the lunch line with the rest of the crew and made a point of joining Mari and I for lunch. We both thought that was pretty cool of him. I think he enjoyed talking shop with a couple of down-to-earth, work-a-day actors, and he preferred hanging out with us to having someone bring him lunch in his trailer.

Now that the show is ending and you’re reflecting back on it, how does it feel to be a part of such a groundbreaking show?
It’s such a blessing. I feel it’s something I’m super proud of. It’s one of my favorite credits. There are things that I’m thankful for every day and that’s one of them. I think about the casting director every day who cast me and working with Matthew Weiner and Jon Hamm. That [episode] was his first episode that he ever directed. He was such a doll and I think he [and Weiner] volleyed for me to have that…I think this was a show that really revolutionized television. It made cable and television good again.........
http://www.shockya.com/news/2014/04/18/exclusive-adria-tennor-talks-mad-men-restaurant
actor Jay Paulson :
Favorite scene: "When Don tries to bribe his brother into leaving New York. I give him the $5,000 and say, ‘You’ve gotta go, we’re done here.’ One, it’s a great scene, and two, Jay Paulson, the actor who played my brother, was so good in it and so heartbreaking and such a pleasure to be in that scene with. It was really, really good."
What was it like working with Jon Hamm?
A: He was great. He was very open and very generous. When the first season was winding down someone called me and said, "Did you read Variety?" They had interviewed him and he said that it was the work we had done together that had been his favorite scene. And he was nice enough to mention my name. To have your name in Variety, I mean, it is at good as a guest spot gets.
amc.com

actrice Darby Stanchfield
Hi Darby ! I have been a huge fan of you since the days of Mad Men and I am huge huge fan of you on Scandal . I have some questions to ask :
2) What was il like working with Jon Hamm and January Jones on Mad Men ?
.......
2) Jon Hamm is - you know, he's like one of these guys, it's ridiculous. He's good looking, he's super kind, he's chivalrous to women, he knows everybody's name, and on top of that, he's extremely funny. So i had a great time working with him. January Jones is so beautiful off camera, and the thing that surprised me the most about her is that she was quite shy. She's lovely.
http://interviewly.com/i/darby-stanchfield-nov-2014-reddit

actor Evan Arnold :
What was it like for you to get that hug with Don Draper?
I’ve gotta say, you know he’s this big beautiful charming man, and his diaphragm and chest are right against me and heaving, basically … it’s like a romance novel. But it’s that odd juxtaposition where we hadn’t hung out, we didn’t have dialogue together, we didn’t practice together. I did my bit of business, he listened to me, he came over, and he hugged me. You know, we had a nice, cordial introduction on the set. He is a consummate professional, and then, as actors you engage. And it becomes intensely intimate at a moment’s notice, and of course, a brief moment.You know it’s a lot like relationships itself, where doors open and they close, there’s a connection. Do you have the ability, are you willing to receive a connection? And my wife said, "I think that’s what the episode is about, when they titled it "Person to Person," it was that moment when we two came together." I said, "Oh, I thought it was just about the collect calls, person to person!"
That’s what’s fun about the titles and the writing of the script, it’s open to interpretation.
A lot of my friends are like "What was that like, Jon Hamm was all up in your action? What was it like?" It was fine, felt good. He’s a good hugger! I hope I was, too.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/05/19/an_interview_with_evan_arnold_who_played_leonard

actrice Lisa Cardinelli :
And then, to be working with Jon Hamm?
 He’s so great. Everyone on the show is so great. I’m a fan of the show, and it was so wonderful to be part of that. And to be part of that television history, it was an honor. I’ve been really lucky in that way.
http://www.undertheradarmag.com/interviews/mad_mens_linda_cardellini_sylvia_rosen/
"It's always been an interesting part of the job [to do love scenes], but they're wonderful scenes," Cardellini revealed.
Cardellini then teased that working with Jon Hamm makes loves scenes much more comfortable to shoot.
"He's great... Really great guy and a fantastic actor," she said, adding of her friends' reactions: "It's a very hot topic, I'll tell you that! It's fun."
E ! News

But surely there are actors you must have wanted to work with.
Oh sure, I’m a huge fan. I’d already worked with Jon, and I worked with Vincent [Kartheiser] when I was younger, too, in a movie with Andy Garcia called The Unsaid. But I would have loved to work with Peggy or Joan or Betty—they’re just such great characters.
 http://time.com/3859660/linda-cardellini-mad-men/
Once you were on Mad Men, did you discuss the character of Sylvia with Jon Hamm? Did he share any insights?
Oh he’s great to work with. I think, you know, actors rely on each other all the time. You know [laughs] there were some compromising positions that you get into on the show and it was very intimate and he was always very supportive and very kind and very generous as an actor
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/linda-cardellini/40326/linda-cardellini-interview
actor Kevin Rahm :
SYMONDS: Can you talk a little bit about the Don-Ted rivalry and acting with Jon Hamm? I can imagine that's probably just as intimidating for you as for Ted.
RAHM: Yeah, it's so interesting. My first scene ever that I shot on the show was with Jon. It was the Benihana scene two seasons ago.
SYMONDS: Oh, right!
RAHM: It's the first time we meet the character, it's the first time I'm on the show, it's the first time I'm doing a scene with Jon. To Jon's credit, he's such a good guy and such a great scene partner that he makes it as easy as possible. That being said, you still have to stare down Don Draper once the scene starts. He doesn't help you in the actual scene; he's going to be Don Draper. But as a person, off-camera, he makes it as easy as can be. But I'm not going to lie, that was daunting to step up and face Don Draper. And as we got deeper in the season—especially since episode six, the merger, for me at least—the more I had him, the more daunting it became. To have him get the best of me now twice. Once in the drinking and then now pulling the rug out from under me with the client in this last episode. It's tough. But the opposite side of that—to be able to stand firm and call him out—has been exciting. And again, to Jon's credit, he's willing to take the hit in the scene.
http://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/kevin-rahm-mad-men/print/
 
I read that you guys also play Words With Friends?
We do, religiously. I’m not the best. I do OK. Jon [Hamm] is really good. He’s tough. We play a lot of dominoes online, too. We are playing dominoes or cribbage on the table and we’ll also all be playing each other on our phones. My wife [Amy] always gives me a hard time. She’s like, “I have to go to work and you get to go play.” She works at UC Davis [Medical Center].
http://www.sactownmag.com/April-May-2014/The-Mad-Man
So is your phone ringing non-stop with work?
-At least in the business, this show is pretty hot Business-wise, Hollywood is still a pretty crappy place right now. I don’t think the phones are ringing off the hook for anybody unless you’re Jon Hamm.
So how big is Jon Hamm’s ego at this point?
-If his head is getting big, he’s not letting any of us know about it. Everyone’s always asking me, is Jon a nice guy? Well, I can tell you that he’s a legitimate nice guy – a guy’s guy.
http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2009/08/12/mad-mens-rich-sommer-wild-about-harry/
                                                      
Is Jon Hamm dreamier in real life or on-camera?
He is a wonderful actor to work with. [Laughs] I wish I could think of something witty and funny to sort of disparage his TV reputation but…no. Great actor, total gentleman and he really sets an amazing tone on the set – ego-less and professional and fun.
What does Jon Hamm smell like? This could be a huge scoop for us.
I guess the scent of the herbal cigarettes sort of masks the scent of Jon Hamm!
http://www.ew.com/article/2010/08/16/mad-men-cara-buno-faye-miller-interview
..................................................................................................................................
Buono also praised Hamm, calling him the Mad Men’s “leader” and explaining that “he set the tone for everyone to a level of professionalism and fun.” She says that while she was sad about leaving the show, “it made sense in the storytelling” because she “didn’t ever see Faye winding up with Don.” Beyond that, Buono was nostalgic for show’s finer details. “I loved everything [costume designer] Janie Bryant put me in,” she said. “I loved wearing the corsets because they just felt very together and very polished.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/26/mad-men-stars-say-goodbye-jon-hamm
Alison Brie,
SAN DIEGO (Wireless Flash - FlashNews) – Who’s more ruggedly handsome: Funnyman Joel McHale or Mad Men’s brooding Jon Hamm?
If you ask Community star and Mad Men regular Alison Brie, she’d say Joel McHale, hands down – but only if he’s within ear shot.
Brie admits that when the sexy Don Draper himself asks her who’s more handsome on the set of the ’60s period drama, she sides with the boyishly good-looking McHale again – well, sort of.
She says, “I tell Jon, ‘He’s way more dreamy than you, Jon.’ Then we all laugh out loud.”
But when Brie and McHale shared an onscreen smooch for an episode of Community last season, she jokes that she may have had Hamm on her mind the whole time.
http://www.flashnews.com/news/wfn05100729fn24112.html
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Q. You have one season under your belt. What has it been like?
A. “It’s amazing. It’s such a thrilling experience. We knew when we filmed the pilot we had something special. The cast is amazing. Jon Hamm is such a strong actor and also a nice guy. It’s such an incredible cast. It’s the first series for AMC, that they have produced, and it’s gotten such great notice. We could not be happier.”
http://blogs.dailynews.com/outinhollywood/2008/07/28/my-longlost-interview-with-bry/
Ian Bohen
10. You played the part of Roy Hazelitt in the hobo storyline of "Mad Men" season 1. The guy Don Draper lost his mistress to. What was it like on set of the early "Mad Men"?
"Mad Men" was great. Back then no one knew what it would become so you had these guys (Matthew Weiner) with this idea, and they made their vision, which speaks for itself. I just showed up with these great actors and tried not to Fit up. Jon Hamm was great as well. We play softball together on the weekends. Guy can hit.
 
Q: What was it like working with Jared Harris and Jon Hamm? 
It was amazing. Everyone was extremely friendly. Jared Harris and Jon Hamm are both really kind and professional. It was weird, though. Jon Hamm kept trying to make out with me. (This is less of a fact and more of a faint, wistful daydream.)
Q: What does Jon Hamm smell like?
A cigarette burning in God's ashtray.
http://ucbcomedy.blogspot.fr/2010/08/ucbs-elaine-carroll-on-mad-men
TCS: Which Mad Men character left the most lasting impression on you? Why?
EL: I would say Don. Jon(Hamm) and I worked together quite a bit and got to know each other. He is someone I admire, not only in his work but also his work ethic. It is wonderful to see all of the success he is having and whenever we do get to see each other, it’s great to catch up.
http://www.myredglasses.com/h-towns-own-mad-men-connection-eric-ladin/
STEPHANIE: I love Meredith because it’s so typical of her and the scene was wonderful to do and Jon is a wonderful, wonderful scene partner and it was great. It was absolutely wonderful
uproxx-interview-stephanie-drake-discusses-portraying-meredith
Morse: Jon Hamm is the head. I have hardly ever seen, in the seven years, him go crazy or be upset of any magnitude. I think we all followed his lead. The atmosphere was one of great precision.
 
                                                      
 Jared Harris
How was Jon Hamm as a director?
He's good. He did a great job. I mean, the best direction is always brief. If you're having to explain what you want to an actor and it takes you two minutes you can't remember all that. It was very specific, so that’s what you want.
....................................................................................................
I knew they were good, obviously. Mad Men wouldn’t be Mad Men—and this sounds like an obvious statement, in a way—without Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss, and Slattery, Vinnie [Kartheiser], and Christina. The characters wouldn’t be the same. [Matt] cast well, but he responded to what they were able to do, and what they were able to show. In that sense, they were collaborators in the writing process. They haven’t gotten the credit that they deserve. A lot of attention has gone toward the writing and toward Matt, and that’s absolutely fair because he’s done an amazing job. But it’s kind of overshadowed the incredible, fantastic work that those guys have done. I’m hoping that they get recognized for it, because they deserve it.
Jon Hamm, in particular, if you look at what he does, he’s playing a character that on some level is unknowable to himself. He’s certainly unknowable to the people around him. That’s quite a tough thing to play, in the sense that you have to know what the character doesn’t know. If you watch what Jon does when he’s not saying anything, it’s so detailed, and nuanced, and absolutely accurate … it tells you more about Don than when he opens his mouth to speak.
http://www.undertheradarmag.com/interviews/mad_mens_jared_harris_lane_pryce/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment