Monday, July 18, 2016

Rosemarie DeWitt and Abigail Spencer about Hamm

  
You’ve been keeping busy then.
RD: Yeah, it’s this nice balance between motherhood and working. She’s at an age where you can kind of strap her on your back and go off to set [laughs]. She comes, she travels with. There was a day the other day, we ran into Jon Hamm at a restaurant. He was chewing on her cheeks, and I’m like “women would envy you right now!” She doesn’t realize how cool some of the people are that she gets to hang out with.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/interview-rosemarie-dewitt
Right. And Don Draper represents her father, that ideal that she was raised to seek out.
RdW :  I completely agree. One of my favorite moments in the “Midge episodes” is when, during the last time they’re together, everyone is in her apartment smoking pot, and one of the guys looks out the window and sees that the cops are outside. Don is about to leave and the guy says “You can’t go out there.” And Don just looks back at him and says “No. You can’t.” And then he just walks out the door. I’m so happy for everyone on the show, especially Jon Hamm. He’s so reminiscent of the old-time Hollywood stars like Cary Grant, but at the same time, he’s so simple and unadorned in that role.
http://thehollywoodinterview.blogspot.fr/2008/12/rosemarie-de-witt
Between the three of you, you've worked with some very attractive actors, including Jon Hamm, Ewan McGregor, and Tunde Adebimpe. Let's imagine a scenario where they're all single and out at a bar. Who does the best with the women? RD: Tunde's so cool, but he's very unassuming. In a bar situation…
EB: I think Ewan is Captain Charmpants. He might take it. And he also has fantastic hair.
RD: Jon Hamm's pretty gorgeous.
LS: He's totally gorgeous, but it's in that boy-next-door way.
RD: You know what might happen? A lot of the girls might flock over to Jon Hamm, but he wouldn't get the cool girls, the girls who have some self-respect who hang back. Ewan would go talk to them.
LS: They'd each get a good quadrant. Their own demographic.
RD: Yeah.
EB: Ewan's incredibly warm and interested, and he loves chicks. He loves what they're about.
RD: Jon is pretty charming himself, and hilarious.
http://www.nerve.com/advice/sex-advice-from/sex-advice-from-emily-blunt-rosemarie-dewitt
 
UPROXX: Unless you’re outside UCB, then it’s probably Burning Love.
SPENCER: (Laughs) If I’m in the comedy world, it’s Burning Love. If I travel, like airports, Suits and Burning Love. It’s really interesting, where I’m at really…I shot a movie in Boston, and Suits is very Harvard-centric, so I couldn’t walk anywhere. It was like, “I am famous in Boston!” It was awesome. It’s not one thing, and that’s such a gift as an actor. Jon Hamm and I became friendly shooting Mad Men. He was the same way. He was on a Lifetime show, he did a guest star on Providence, he was on What About Brian. He did a lot of guest stars, and nobody knew who he was until Mad Men. And that was kind of my thing, too. Nobody knew who I was until Mad Men, but I don’t think people are going to see what I’m capable of until Rectify.
http://uproxx.com/tv/uproxx-interview-abigail-spencer
Abigail Spencer: Oh yeah — tell me. Tell me what question you were tired of reading
Brendan Francis Newnam: I don’t think you would get tired of this, but probably people bring up “Mad Men” a lot, when you played Suzanne Farell, a teacher that Don Draper had an affair with in season three. Your popularity soared after that. Is that fair to say?
Abigail Spencer: Oh yeah. I mean, well, sadly I am so grateful for that question, because I am amazed that it’s relevant five years later. I’m amazed that I got to be a part of such a literary, historical moment in television and play a great, memorable character.
So I’m just amazed, and it still happens that every room or role that I’m up for… people say, “You on ‘Mad Men’ — that was the moment” or “that was the first time I saw you.” But what’s interesting is that I was a working actor for 10 years before “Mad Men” came along. So that was, I guess, my 10,000 hours in some capacity.
What did your stint on Mad Men teach you about working in television, and what did you learn from working and watching your co-stars?
Matt Weiner specifically taught me that my role as an actor is not to make something work — it either works or it doesn't. And my job is to serve good writing and storytelling. It also taught me to seek out good writers and story tellers with a singular vision. What I learned from Jon Hamm was an incredible power of stillness and how to be lovely on set.
http://www.buro247.sg/culture/insiders/abigail-spencer
Q: How does it feel to play Don Draper's latest "other woman"?
A: It felt tricky as an actor. You don't know much about her. It just comes down to committing to what is being called for and being honest about it and being open to whatever. It didn't hurt that Jon Hamm is probably the easiest, nicest, most respectful actor I could ever act with.
amc.com
 
                              
there’s one actor Spencer hopes to work with soon: Jon Hamm!
I would love to work in a different era, because we were doing a period drama in the early 1960s. I’d love to do a comedy with him. I just think it’d be fun for us to do something totally different than that,”
According to Spencer, Hamm was known for reenacting an SNL skit around the set.
“He would just pull them out,” Spencer said. “Like, you know Maya Rudolph’s ‘Tiny Moves?’ He would just pull them out.”
Ironically, Spencer had no idea who Hamm was when she initially started working with him.
“I hadn’t watch the show when I was cast on the show, so I didn’t have a lot of background knowledge on who he was,” she said. “I was like ‘Who is this Jon Hamm guy that knows all the SNL skits?’ ”
                                    
TVLINE | Did you have any flashbacks to your Mad Men arc when you were in ’69, because I was thinking that it was only a few years off from school teacher Suzanne….It was. But what was interesting about [Mad Men] is that I didn’t wear any makeup, my hair was my natural curl. Suzanne was a very progressive character for the show at that time. So, what I didn’t get from the Mad Men experience that everyone else got was the makeup, and hair, and the undergarments, all of that. It’s funny because Jon Hamm saw a [Timeless] promo and wrote me, like, “Whoa, the ’60s. I wonder how you prepared for that role….” I was like, “I had a very good teacher.”
  
Abigail Spencer Recalls an Awkward Moment in Bed With Jon Hamm on Mad Men
 

No comments:

Post a Comment