Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Vincent Kartheiser about Hamm

 
Mike: Is Jon Hamm a pretty fun guy to be around on set? From the side we've seen on "30 Rock" and "SNL" I almost assume he has to be.
Vincent Kartheiser: Yeah. He's really fun but more than that, he sets the tone for the rest of the actors. It's a tone of levity but he's there to work. Every take: Jon Hamm is on. I mean, I lose focus a lot more than he does. I guess that's the way it should be but he sets the tone and it's the most important thing for the rest of the cast that we have someone like that who can be our leader and our focus compass, if you will. But, yeah, he hangs out outside the trailers, tells jokes and is a really great guy. Matthew wasn't lying when he said, "this couldn't happen to a nicer guy." [...] Of course Jon is completely different than Don Draper. Don Draper, for all of his smoothness and coolness is kind of a bastard, and Jon Hamm's really not. He's a loyal and really cool, stand-up guy.
https://site.douban.com/140591/widget/notes/6643201/note/197784073/
Is it true that you have to shave three to four times a day?
I think Jon Hamm has to shave three to four times a day. I have to shave twice a day. I will shave in the morning and, if I have a long day, then 10 to 12 hours later I will shave again.
Do you crack each other up between takes?
Well, everyone is funny in a different way. John Slattery and Jon Hamm have a great back and forth thing going on. So when they are together everyone just kind of shuts up and listens.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/02_february/03
EDGE: Pete says to Don Draper in an early episode, “A man like you, I'd follow into combat blindfolded.” Would you, Vincent, follow Jon Hamm into battle blindfolded?
VK: Well I wouldn’t follow anyone into battle. (laughs) I do feel he has my back. I think I can speak for all the actors that Jon is so supportive and is so consistent, he’s always giving 100 percent, he’s always present, he’s always good. I have off-days—there are days I can’t remember my lines or I’m struggling. Jon and many of the actors I work with are so, so strong. Jon is there so much and it’s Don’s story, so it is pivotal that he supplies his presence. Yet he does it almost effortlessly and I don’t know how. It’s a character trait that I admire greatly.
http://www.edgemagonline.com/interview_vincent_kartheiser.htm                            
That said, there's still no doubt that Jon Hamm is the star, if not the least bit starry. "I've never heard Jon complain," says Kartheiser. "He never takes a day off work, he's never shown up without knowing his lines. He's not flawless, but he never slows down the set, never yells at people."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/mad-men-star-vincent-kartheiser
Is Mad Men a funny set and who are the funniest and pranksters?
KARTHEISER: I don’t think anyone was a prankster, but Jon Hamm is hilarious, John Slattery, Elisabeth, January Jones is hilarious. Very very funny people. I mean Jon Hamm is like – he has a memory like a steel lockbox, so he remembers full comedy albums. It’s really quite brilliant. But Jon’s hilarious and watching him and Slattery kind of kick back and forth with jokes and voices and characters that they had throughout the years created, just through being good buddies – they were probably the funniest.
http://collider.com/mad-men-final-season-vincent-kartheiser/
What did you learn from Jon Hamm about being a leader on set?                                   
There was a tone that Jon set and the way he approached other cast members that I very much admired. I would probably copy it if I could, but I’m very much my own person.
http://zap2it.com/2015/11/vincent-kartheiser-for-my-next-role-im-hoping-to-wear-a-burka
Who would argue with you on that?
They would all argue with me on that. I'm the best domino player, I'm the best cribbage player, I'm the best book reader, I'm the best napper, I tell the best stories, I am the best looking, I am the strongest, I am the fastest. I am none of those things.
I feel like Jon Hamm could really kill some cribbage.
Why would you think that?
Because he's one of those good-at-everything kind of people. But maybe that's just how they market him.
 No, that's true. Do you want me to give the phone to him?
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/q-a-mad-men-actor-vincent-kartheiser
                                        
I think you really just nailed the character. And the thing I think is funny is that there’s certain moments – just certain looks you give. Whether it’s you talking to your wife Trudy. Like with her, you don’t even really consider her an equal. It’s almost like somebody that you put up with. Who knows if you even want to be married; you’re going through the motions. And there’s certain looks you give her that you would never give Draper.
- Yeah. And we owe that to the story. We owe that because the story is pointing that way. Jon Hamm and me – that on-screen relationship is like, for those first two seasons was very solid. It was very consistent. Every time we’re in the room together, as those characters, in those scenes, we had demeanorships.

Which was he was the man, and you were the sort of obsequious underling.
- Well, yeah. And that character openly – the tone of the way that we always interacted with each other was just always very different. And Jon Hamm has a very strong presence, and so, if he wants to show a female love in a scene, or dominate her, he can do that. And he dominates Pete, you know? And so a lot of me in those scenes is just reacting to what he’s giving me. I’m almost always walking into his office, or standing up in the boardroom with him or something. And every time that Pete’s kind of stood up to Don, “You know, when I was in college…” or “I’ve got your number,” Don comes right back at him. Stronger. Twice as strong. “You’re fired. You’re out of here.” Or, you know, openly demeaning, or right in his face, like when he tried to blackmail him, and he just walked right up to him and says, “This isn’t gonna happen

But you got the tone of the character, of the relationship, pretty quick it seems.
- Well, in real life, he’s definitely the alpha male. But he’s also not my boss. I mean, we’re peers, you know what I mean. Like, I respect him very much, and he works much longer hours, and I would consider when he’s on set that my demeanor definitely shifts to give him the stage. But an episode where it’s me and my wife and her parents or something, I have a very different kind of hold over that set; I’m a very different beast. Whereas, if Jon Hamm’s on set, it’s much more his story line. And it’s a natural thing for us to do because of the relationship on the show, too. It’s a natural thing for me and my wife when we see each other to say, “Hi,” and you know, look at each other lovingly and care about each other. Because you’re going to have to do it for maybe five-six years, you know? That being said, I mean, Jon’s my friend. I really like the guy, and I mean, he’s fucking cool. He never makes anyone feel like – I’ve worked with guys who

…can demean you?
They don’t even need to. It doesn’t even help with the show at all, you know. Jon is nothing like that. He wouldn’t – I mean, any alpha male status he has is alpha male status that people give him. It’s nothing that he aspires to or demands. It just is what it is.
http://lostinasupermarket.com/2009/10/mad-mens-vincent-kartheiser-interview
Jon Hamm, you know, honestly I don’t see any flaws that the man has. I really, really look up to him. He knows how to stay focused on what his goals are, he has things he wants to do with his career, he’s pushing to do them," he said. "He does it modestly, and without a, kind of, big fanfare. He’s just a really down-to-earth guy. He’ll tell you honestly what he thinks about something — sometimes that’s a bit intimidating. Often times, though, it’s really honorable."
‘Press’ing Questions
When you’re on a hit show like "Mad Men," dealing with the media is an inevitable part of your life, whether you like it or not. And, as Kartheiser learned the hard way, what you say may not always paint you in the best light. Take an interview he did with "The UK Observer," where he revealed he didn’t have a toilet at the moment. That little statement caught fire and soon, headlines painted him as a bit of a whack job that uses his neighbor’s facilities for his business.
 "I was in a particularly wily mood and the next week, it came out and my friends were all like, ‘Dude, what happened?'" he said. "I went to set and someone was talking to me, and Jon (Hamm) overheard me and was like, ‘Yeah, what’s the deal, man?’ And I was like, ‘Oh, I said some stupid stuff to a reporter,’ and he was like ‘Yeah, you should know better.'"
Truth be told, Kartheiser said he was actually just in the middle of a remodel at the time of the interview, so yes, he didn’t have a toilet in his home but, worry not, it was on the way. The interview debacle was a bit of a wake-up call — one that more or less came from Mr. Hamm.
"It was kind of cool to have someone not sugarcoat it and just be like, ‘Yeah, dude, you messed up and what’s the deal? Don’t you know that by now? You’re 30 years old. Don’t you know not to say stupid things?'" Kartheiser said. "But I don’t know not to say stupid things. And Jon Hamm does. And I respect him for that."
And just for the record, he wasn’t using his neighbor’s toilet, he was using the guest house bathroom until the new toilet could arrive. An error that’s already done its damage.
Especially with the Internet, people pick up stories from five years ago and run them like they happened yesterday, so it’s the kind of the story that keeps getting circulated and I feel really stupid every time someone asks me," he said. "It’s my own fault. It’s my own lack of being able to focus and say the right things."
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/04/19/curiocity-vincent-kartheiser-from-minn-man-to-mad-men    
 
Can you tell me a little bit about working with Jon Hamm, as an actor
He's a good leader, you know. It's hard being member one of a big cast like this and you have to set a tone for everyone. You have to establish something that everyone can kind of work off. If you set a tone of respect and professionalism and all of these great things, everyone else will fall in line_ they have to. And with Jon there's none of the bullshit that sometimes comes with it. But as an actor, as someone during the scenes, he's very, very giving and he's helpful too. It goes back to how everyone works differently, and Jon definitely works differently than me . I work differently than everyone on the set_ I'm kind of goofy, and I've worked with some people who tease on that or whatever, but Jon doesn't . He just lets everyone do their thing and it works. For an actor, it's important to feel comfortable and he's in a position to help us feel comfortable and he's carrying this baby. I love the scenes that I have with Jon, where it's just me and Jon_ and not just because it's Jon, but because it's Pete and Don. The scenes between them take on this really sub-textual tension, which just naturally happens on the set. Like we'll do our group scene and then everyone else in the cast will leave and it will just be me and Jon, and the set just kind of quiets down a little. The same when it's Don and January Jones. They schedule their scene on different days because they're on different stage. It's a very different tone when it's a Draper day and when it's an office day . The office days are very bustling : girl extras running everywhere with hair and gabbing and talking, and all the guys smoking and playing chess, and me jumping up down doing my vocal exercises. And then with the Drapers, just Betty, sitting with her dog, and it's very quiet and very different tone, but it's beautiful man.
Vanityfair.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment