Saturday, July 2, 2016

July 2016 - news - Jon Hamm

The whole thing has the stink of NFL mythology reeking off it, from the overly dramatic storming-the-beach-at-Normandy score to the constant talk of the “shield” to the total lack of discussion of player safety or well-being to elevation of team success above all other things (a scene with Keim’s family complaining how Daddy is never home plays a lot sadder than I suspect the NFL might have intended) to, above all, some of the most banal, cliché-addled narration from Jon Hamm I have ever heard in a documentary. Jon Hamm is a terrific actor, and just as good a voice-over star: I’m always a little more likely to buy a particular car if he’s telling me to do so. But here he’s addled with a constant stream of motivational coffee mug lines like “On the road to a championship, the closer you get, the harder each step becomes” and “A fast start doesn’t tell you everything. But it might tell you all you need to know.” Hamm’s narration is so hackily written that I found myself narrating my life with it in my head for a few days after finishing the show. (“Getting a crying baby back to sleep might not mean you reached the mountaintop. But it’s how you know it’s within sight.”) The show never challenges the NFL, or the players, or the coaches, or anything other than the official narrative: Men are men, men are champions, the NFL is all, we have always been at war with Eurasia.
http://decider.com/2016/07/01/all-or-nothing-a-season-with-the-arizona-cardinals-amazon

                                                        
 
                           
From an interview with director Paul Feig :
So I go, ‘Hey, Bill, it’s Paul.’ And I make my speech and then it clicks off. Did I just get hung up on or what? So, we had no idea, to the point where…
DEADLINE: You never heard his voice?
FEIG: Never did. I just knew he got the script. I heard he was interested, and then we are at the point where it was time to shoot it, and we had no confirmation. I go, “If he doesn’t show up, I can’t lose the day. I got to get somebody to do this.” So, do I call Jon Hamm? “Hey, Jon, would you do this part, but if Bill Murray shows up, you’re fired?” I decided I’ll play it but thinking, “Please don’t let that happen.” The day came and it’s like, OK, he’s at the airport. And then he showed up and wanted to do what we had written. He played with it, definitely, and was so delightful. I usually don’t think the shooting of a movie is that interesting, and when you see the set photographer, I think, “What are they doing here?” That was the only time I felt like it was a big deal that Bill is on the set, and it’s iconic to have pictures. I was very aware this was the guy they’d been trying to get on a Ghostbusters set for almost 30 years.
http://deadline.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-melissa-mccarthy-kirsten-wiig-bill-Murray
What’s it like to be alone in a hotel room with a star?
Seattle Times movie critic Moira Macdonald marks her 15th anniversary in the newsroom ......
It can be surreal to meet someone who you know only as a character. As a huge “Mad Men” fan, I was delighted to talk to Jon Hamm in 2010 — who, with scruffy beard, plaid shirt and friendly informality, couldn’t have been less like Don Draper. The encounter put me in such a cheery mood that I promptly tripped and fell inelegantly on the Toronto sidewalk after leaving the hotel; not noticing, with my head in the clouds, a gaping hole in the concrete. (I named the resultant gash on my knee the Jon Hamm Scar.)
http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/movies/whats-it-like-to-be-alone-in-a-hotel-room
                                     
                                                         
      
                                         
Hamm was at the New York premiere of Absolutely Fabulous...and the Gramercy Park Hotel for the after-party....Hamm said that he had been a great fan of the act since its early days on Comedy
Central...
Chris Colfer, director Mandie Fletcher, Steve Gilula, Hamm, Nancy Utley
Hamm and Buck are pals from St. Louis — where Buck’s dad, Jack, was the Cardinals’ announcer. Joe later was, too                   
Monday, November 21, 2016 - 7:00pm
Left Bank Books and Maryville Talks Books present an evening with sportscaster, St. Louisan, and author Joe Buck, in conversation with very special guest and Mad Men star Jon Hamm, about his new book, Lucky Bastard: My Life, My Dad, and the Things I'm Not Allowed to Say on TV.
http://www.left-bank.com/buck
                                                  
                          
Hamm was at The Thrilling Adventure Hour....on Saturday 23
 
seen at Lax, on July 27
                                                               July 28, walking the dog
                                                          
                                                           
 .......we get to see Zappa up close, and he was actually quite an appealing-looking fellow, with an elegant tapered jaw and dark puppy-dog eyes that twinkled as he toyed with whoever he was talking to. In conversation, his voice was a powerful instrument, rich and deep and too direct to be sarcastic. If someone were making a biopic about Frank Zappa, the actor who could do him justice — don’t laugh — is Jon Hamm. Zappa had that combination of handsome severity and forceful flippancy.
http://variety.com/2016/film/columns/frank-zappa-eat-that-question-1201826798/
  
 
writer-director Mike Birbiglia
Keeping with your film's themes, have you done anything memorable out of jealousy?
- This isn't a jealousy thing, but an uncomfortability story. The Ben Stiller scene [in which Stiller plays himself] was inspired by a true-life thing. I was at a premiere party and Jon Hamm was there. He said to me, "I really enjoy your comedy." I was like, "You don't have to say that." He goes, "No, I don't have to say..." It was this horrible realization: How do you fuck up a compliment? I get intimidated by people I admire.
http://www.villagevoice.com/film/qanda-writer-director-mike-birbiglia-thinks-twice                                           

actor Tom Stevens
I know you have done a ton of acting work, but do you remember your first ever audition ?
- Yeah, (laughs) oh man, you are talking about the audition ? Or acting role ? Those are completly different things....
They gave me a " good job" to make sure I left, I think.(laughs). I was terrified. Auditioning is a completely terrfying beast. It's not your work that matters, it's if you can sell yourself in that room. Its a weird process but it's the only one we have.
Jon Hamm has a great quote about how an audition room can be completely welcoming or hostile and you have no way of knowing which it'll be until you walk into the room. You just go in and try to do the best audition that you possibly can.
http://talknerdywithus.com/2016/07/20/exclusive-interview-with-wayward-pines
                                      
Jens Thiemer, CMO of Mercedes
- Reese: Do you believe brands should follow certain audio rules?
- Thiemer: Not necessarily. Currently I find it more feasible to pick music for campaigns on a case-by-case basis. But there are other components to the Mercedes audio brand that are more consistent: Our voice-overs, for example. In the US, we have been working with Jon Hamm, and quite successfully so. His voice is strong and charismatic - most people know it from the show “Mad Men.” Jon does most of our English voiceovers worldwide. For the German market, we went through a voiceover casting process together with our agency partners last year. If you stick to just one voiceover artist for all of your audio brand communication, it can be a tough decision, as you really need to find someone who can deliver a broad range of moods and emotions.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dr-jens-thiemer-cmo-mercedes-role-audio-brand

We Failed This Film is a series about underrated films that simply didn’t receive the love they deserved upon initial release. For the 24th and final entry, Dylan Moses Griffin explores Joe Carnahan’s The A-Team.
.......Few films deserve a sequel like The A-Team does, and it had set itself up so well. A CIA agent, also named “Lynch,” shows up to take Patrick Wilson’s Lynch into custody, and guess who it is? JON HAMM. I just about screamed and ran laps around the theater in excitement when he showed up. He was going to be the villain in the sequel. It’s a crime of cinema that we didn’t get to see an A-Team film with Jon Hamm as the villain, and I get sad and start crying every time I rewatch it because I know this is all I get of Jon Hamm as a villain. I want to be the first to say that I would fist fight whomever necessary to get a sequel made. Six years later, I’m still carrying the torch, and if I ever come into $100 million, the first thing I’m doing is calling up Carnahan and company.
https://vaguevisages.com/2016/07/18/we-failed-this-film-joe-carnahans-the-a-team-2010/

No comments:

Post a Comment