Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Director Paul Feig about Hamm

How did Jon Hamm fit in with all the comedy nerds on this film ? 
P.F : He is such a comedy nerd. He ill quote lines from "Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy". You're quoting something even I can't quote ! He's always wanted to do comedy . One of the next things I'm developing a project for him to star in. I think he's so funny. He's like Cary Grant to me.
Jon Hamm is inspired casting. Did he help push that Ted logic further?
[Laughs] That’s Jon Hamm. He’s one of my favorite people in the world, because he’s this incredibly handsome man but he’s a total goofball. He loves comedy and he can quote us under the table, and we’re the kings of being able to quote comedy. He’s gregarious and goofy, in a fun way. He just overtook the character. So many times it’s about how the actor interprets stuff. First of all, we knew it was going to be him, so we were writing towards him.
don't really have much to ask, so I just wanted to let you know that I got giddy every time I saw your name pop up on an episode of Mad Men. They were always the best episodes. Love your work.
- Thanks so much. I only got to do one but had the best time. Jon Hamm and I always stayed friends after that. Another great guy. The whole cast was great. It was a blast. When I showed up on my first day, though, since I always wear a suit they thought I was there to audition for a part. The perils of suit wearing in LA!
http://interviewly.com/i/paul-feig-dec-2012-reddit
                                                  
CK: At the same time it must be fun working with more established stars and playing against the image the audience has of them. I’m thinking of Jon Hamm in Bridesmaids.
PF: Very much so, and Hamm is one of my heroes. I got to know him when I directed Mad Men and we became buddies. The fact that he’s such a comedy aficionado and loves it so much, yeah that’s really fun too. But then, that’s not the same as working with the A-list star who comes in with his team and he has to guard his image. That’s not as fun because you don’t have the freedom to play. Like Hamm, my God! The funny stuff he would do for us in that opening sex scene. We shot so much stuff. Talk about two people with no egos and no worries about how they looked or what they were doing. And you love them for it as an audience member because you get such funny stuff.
.....
Hamm was the same way. Hamm’s a guy who was knocking around for a long time. He was a waiter. I remember him being my waiter at Ciudad. I remember hitting it off with this really handsome and funny waiter and the next thing I know I’m directing him in an episode of  Mad Men and I’m like “Wait a minute! I remember you!”
http://www.awardsdaily.com/2011/11/14/interview-bridesmaids-director-paul-feig
SM: I understand you’re teaming up with Judd again for a new film; it’s being described as an unconventional love story” and the rumour is that it’ll star Jon Hamm and Melissa McCarthy.PF: Yeah, that rumour just came out this morning, which I was trying to hide. I don’t mind that it’s out there. Nothing’s official; who knows if they’ll do it. That would be my dream, to have the two of them, because I love them as performers and I’ve always wanted to tell a love story about two people falling in love who Hollywood wouldn’t normally let fall in love.
https://www.quickflix.com.au/News/Interviews/Bridesmaids/7657
..................
As he should be. The Bridesmaids director rang up Movieline from London on Friday afternoon where he's busy writing what he called "Dumb Jock," the romantic comedy that could star Jon Hamm and Melissa McCarthy. "I'm very excited about that project," he said. "I'm writing with them in mind, and it's just a love story that I've always wanted to write, that I think will be really funny, but will play much more real than most quote-unquote romantic comedies. Fingers crossed, I get them to do it."
http://movieline.com/2011/07/05/paul-feig-on-the-record-breaking-success-of-bridesmaid
Are you working on anything else right now?Yeah, the movie for Melissa that I actually sold before Bridesmaids came out. It’s been a real pet project of mine to do a love story, and then I started working with Melissa. I don’t know if Jon’s going to do it, but I was writing it for Jon Hamm and Melissa—basically a story where he falls in love with her and gets obsessed with her.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/01/oscar-qa-paul-feig-bridesmaids
It was one of those things where I was like ‘Oh, that wasn’t supposed to come out’ but I’m kinda glad it did; I’ve been secretive about it the past few months but I guess I’ve dropped enough hints too. It’s a real passion project; again, I just want to tell stories that don’t normally get told and this is another of those.”
“They’re the inspiration for it”, Feig says of Hamm and McCarthy, adding that the film would be a “very unconventional love story, in the vein of [Bridesmaids]. Judd and I have a very specific storytelling style – it’s very real and out of the reality we’ll try to make it as funny as possible. I’m excited about that.”
Feig says he’s a huge fan of both actors, describing Jon Hamm as “the new Cary Grant, because he’s so funny but so effortless” and McCarthy as “just a force of nature”.
http://moviehole.net/201142195exclusive-feig-on-the-hammmccarthy-movie-rumour
There was some talk of a romantic comedy starring Jon Hamm and Melissa McCarthy. What’s happening with that?Yeah, I wrote it, and the studio loved it, but Jon and Melissa didn’t want to do it. It’s one of my favorite things I’ve ever written. Maybe we’ll relaunch it. I love funny Hamm. Before I directed Mad Men, they sent me the pilot. I obviously loved the style, but I was really shocked at how humorless Hamm was. I thought he was going to be so boring to work with. Then I show up on the set, and he’s like this total comedy geek. I think I’m encyclopedic, but he knows the most obscure stuff.
http://grantland.com/features/qa-bridesmaids-heat-director-paul-feig/

 
So I go, ‘Hey, Bill, it’s Paul.’ And I make my speech and then it clicks off. Did I just get hung up on or what? So, we had no idea, to the point where…
DEADLINE: You never heard his voice?
FEIG: Never did. I just knew he got the script. I heard he was interested, and then we are at the point where it was time to shoot it, and we had no confirmation. I go, “If he doesn’t show up, I can’t lose the day. I got to get somebody to do this.” So, do I call Jon Hamm? “Hey, Jon, would you do this part, but if Bill Murray shows up, you’re fired?” I decided I’ll play it but thinking, “Please don’t let that happen.” The day came and it’s like, OK, he’s at the airport. And then he showed up and wanted to do what we had written.
 
                 
How Do You Direct a Sex Scene? 10 Directors Tell Their Secrets
Paul Feig, Bridesmaids
In the film’s first scene, Annie (Kristen Wiig) hooks up with handsome, douchey Ted (Jon Hamm), and they’re not exactly on the same wavelength. “Cup my balls,” Ted orders her, before eventually bouncing Annie from bed: “I really want you to leave,” he admits, “but I don’t know how to say it without sounding like a dick.”
No one is less comfortable with doing a sex scene than me, and that’s why I knew the only way we could do this is by doing a funny one. It wasn’t me being the creepy guy — I wasn’t turning them into Coco from Fame. Although, I can tell you that one of the only days my wife visited the set was the day Jon Hamm was having his sex scene.
You just have to face it like it’s any other highly choreographed scene and find the physicality. The only way we were able to get through it is by making each other laugh, so it became this hilarious wrestling match — if you really look at it, it’s less like a sex scene and more like a crazy fight. Jon was so game, and he and Kristen were literally just trying to crack each other up. We kept saying, “Let’s get more absurd,” because we had the safety of knowing it would be ridiculously funny.
http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/famous-movie-sex-scenes-behind-the-scenes.html

Awards Campaign: Have you seen ‘Friends with Kids’ yet?
Paul Feig: No, no.  I”m dying to.
Awards Campaign: You would be very happy because even though it”s a supporting part, she has a pretty intense arc with Jon Hamm’s character.  They really pull it off.
Paul Feig: Oh, good.
http://uproxx.com/hitfix/an-epic-conversation-on-bridesmaids
Glamour: What was it like shooting sex scenes with Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm?
Feig: In my career, I have had to shoot sex scenes occasionally, and it’s my least favorite thing to do. I’m just so uncomfortable with it and I feel so bad for everybody, including myself. But we knew we wanted to shoot this movie out of a cannon and we thought, “What a funny way to open a movie, with just, like, an insane sex scene!” Jon Hamm and Kristen are so funny that we said, “Let’s not look at this as a sex scene, let’s look at this as a fight scene.” That’s what it is, a professional wrestling scene. Shooting it, we just had this camera crane going around like, “Next position! Next position!” It was like this big action scene. There’s nothing sexy about that scene at all, and that’s what made it so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment