Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Adman George Lois about Hamm

Iron-willed, sharp-witted and perhaps even capable of successfully selling ice in the arctic, it’s hardly surprising that Lois is regularly cited as the inspiration for Mad Men and Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. But, as we discover, Lois sees nothing complimentary about being hailed as ‘the original Don Draper’.
“I take that as a personal insult,” he fumes. “Don Draper is a no-talent hack! Advertising in the Sixties was an incredible, heroic age but [Mad Men] shows these womanising scumbags who drink and smoke themselves to death. Honestly, it’s one of the dopiest shows I ever saw.”
So, he never knocked back an old fashioned or two between pitches?
“I’ve been drunk once in my life!” he yells. “But you know what happened the other day? I met Jon Hamm [who plays Draper] at a party. Nice guy, actually. He came running up, gave me a hug and said, ‘I’m your biggest fan!’ Unless he’s the greatest actor that ever lived, he really seemed to mean it.”
http://www.shortlist.com/news/the-ad-man-who-shook-the-world

No comments:

Post a Comment