Saturday, October 1, 2016

Paul Rudd about Jon Hamm

You and your friend Jon Hamm seem to be carrying out a very intense flirtation via the press. You call him “super handsome, really smart and very good at sports,” he calls you “adorable.”
-
I’ve known that guy half my life, and people, at first, never realize how funny he is. At heart he’s a big comedy nerd who has an encyclopedic mind for anything.

There you go being nice to him again! I thought it might be time to take a shot.
-
But he is genuinely a very bright guy! And he’s athletic! I mean, we do have a very competitive relationship. When I say competitive, I mean we play chess a lot. And Scrabble. So when I say he’s a comedy nerd at heart, what I mean is that he’s just a giant nerd at heart.
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/qa-paul-rudd-on-my-idiot-brother
"How do you do it? How do you do it?"
Hamm had recorded the question in a video while he was in London to present an award at the Bafta
"I've known Jon longer than I've known Jen, and I can tell you it's no surprise he has that kind of time on his hands," Rudd responded. "Well, Jon, how I do it is a heavy diet of laughter, single malt scotch, love, methamphetamines, an arsenal of weaponry and a heavy, heavy dose of hatred for all groups different than myself."
Preston Clarke, a friend of Hamm’s from high school, recalls a Paul Rudd–Jon Hamm showdown. Hamm had taken Clarke’s sister, actress Sarah Clarke, to the prom in high school, but when Sarah met Rudd, who was Preston’s roommate at the University of Kansas, there were sparks. Rudd came to St. Louis to visit the Clarkes, of which Preston tells Windolf, “I thought he was coming to visit me, but obviously he was coming to visit my sister. Hamm was there because he was always at my house. And Paul knew that Jon had taken Sarah to prom. He was slightly intimidated. And then we started playing Trivial Pursuit.”
Rudd recalls that night, telling Windolf of Hamm, “He seemed like he was a good-looking, athletic guy who possessed qualities I did not possess. We were playing Trivial Pursuit in teams. Sarah and I were on one team and Jon and Preston were on the other team. Jon would want to go right to Yellow, which was History, and I was like, ‘Oh, great, this guy is smart too.’ They would ask a question like ‘What is the largest lake in Africa?,’ and Jon immediately went, ‘Lake Victoria.’ I felt so emasculated in the game that, as a result, I started reading atlases.”
Hamm and Rudd later became friends, after Hamm moved to L.A. from St. Louis.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/05/jon-hamm-cover-million-dollar-arm
Host Seth Meyers asked the question on everyone’s mind:
“Was he a super cool cat back then, too?”
He was great at everything,” Rudd confirmed. “We played Trivial Pursuit one time, and we split off into teams and I was with Sarah, the girl … I remember I would roll and be, like, ‘Uh, Entertainment or Sports,’ and Jon, every time he’d roll, he’d go, ‘I want to go to History.’ It was [so] emasculating. Because he’d get a question, and he’d get it right every time … I felt so lame that I started reading atlases.”
http://www.instyle.com/videos/
  
MR:    I was reading some pieces on you -- they were saying that after you arrived in LA, you went three years without getting a single acting job.
JH:    Yeah.  I got out here, I’m friends with Paul Rudd. Paul was college roommates with my high school girlfriend’s older brother. So the older brother used to come back for Christmas break, or whatever, and they were the cool, older guys, and that’s how I met him.  So I’ve known him since I was 18 years old. 
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/08/mad-men-season-3-jon-hamm
                                                  
PLAYBOY: Why’d you give up being a bar mitzvah DJ? Did it only happen when your acting career finally took off?
RUDD: Oh no, it was long before that. I had some friends coming to town. We were going out to the Magic Castle. So I told my boss a month in advance, “I need Saturday night off.” But then the weekend comes, and I ended up getting requested for this girl’s party. She really wanted Donny Dweeb. So my boss says to me, “Can you just stop by and do the dance? I’ll give you $25 and you can get out of there.
PLAYBOY: Did you do it?
RUDD: I did. And I brought along my friends. One of them was Joe Buck, who went on to become a play-by-play announcer for Fox Sports. And the other guy was Jon Hamm.
PLAYBOY: From Mad Men?
RUDD: Yeah. Both these guys I’ve known since I was a teenager. They come into town, and I’m like, “Before we go to the Magic Castle, we need to swing by to this party. I just have to do this one quick thing.” So we go, and they have no idea what I’m doing. They knew that I was DJ for parties, but they had no clue how bad it’d gotten. My boss sees my friends and he says, “I’ll introduce Paul, and you guys can come in as his henchmen.” I guess because they were wearing suits.
PLAYBOY: Wait, hold on. You and Jon Hamm and Joe Buck are all in suits?
RUDD: We had to be, because there’s a dress code at the Magic Castle. So Jon and Joe come out and they’re standing to the side, and I pull the bat mitzvah girl from the audience and put her in a chair in the center of an empty dance floor. And in front of hundreds of guests and family members, I essentially give this teenage girl a retarded lap dance.
PLAYBOY: Wow. That sounds….
RUDD: Disturbing?
PLAYBOY: That’s one word to describe it.
RUDD: It’s the only word! But at this point, I’d become numb to it. After it was all over, I walk over to my friends and I’m like, “Okay guys, let’s go.” Very casual. We go out to the lobby, and I’ll never forget this, Joe Buck looks at me with the most confused expression on his face. And he says, with utter earnestness and sincerity, “What the fuck just happened in there?” And at that moment, the reality of what I’d been doing with my life came crashing down. I answered him the only way I could. I said, “I honestly don’t know.” The next day, I gave my notice. I quit. I never DJed again.
http://www.ericspitznagel.com/playboy/paul-rudd/
PAUL RUDD: You and I have known each other for about 20 years.
JON HAMM: That's a lot of hairstyles.
PR: What would you say was your most treasured hairstyle during that time?
JH: I had a pretty serious mullet back in the day. We both had long hair for a while. You had the Michael Hutchence.
PR: I was greatly inspired by INXS. Now, you were a St. Louis Cardinals fan growing up, obviously, because you're from St. Louis.
JH: You were living in Kansas City.
PR: That's how we know each other, essentially, because I would come visit the Clarke family in St. Louis. And then later, when I left Kansas to go to acting school in California, you came out to visit.
JH: You'd done a Nintendo ad. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing.
PR: Now, what happened after that?
JH: I went to school, and you became a major international movie star.
PR: Almost overnight. Because after the Nintendo ad, I was able to book a Toyota ad . . .
JH: That's how it happens.
PR: You and I had the same manager for a time.
JH: Briefly. I finished school, and then I stayed in St. Louis and tried to make some money and failed. So I came out to Los Angeles with whatever money I had, and it was right when you were leaving—you moved to New York, basically. And then you introduced me to our then manager, and I got an agent. Then I didn't work for three year
..........................
PR: What was the movie?
JH: The Day the Earth Stood Still. You've probably seen the original, which came out in the '50s.
PR: I believe that's Preston Clarke's father Ernie Clarke's favorite film of all time.
JH: It is. Preston said that when I told him I was doing the movie.
PR: It all goes back to the Clarke family
..............................................
PR: Many times. I've come over to your house to watch different programs on television.
JH: We watch our stories.
http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/jon-hamm/print/
On his struggles getting into Hollywood: “I called Paul Rudd, who I knew from college, and said, ‘I’m going to ask this only once, because I don’t want to be that guy. I need a favor. Can you give me one person to call who will take my call?’ He gave me a number, and that meeting turned into another meeting, which turned into another meeting. The dominoes started falling and I eventually got an agent, and then I didn’t work for three years and my agent fired me.”
Playboy
.....British comedy for my money is the best in the world. I’m a massive massive fan and I have a lot of friends that are as well. Our little American British comedy nerds. Me and Bill Hader, [Paul] Rudd and all these guys will just get together and start watching YouTube videos like nerds. It’s the best. So I love working over here. I’ve had the opportunity a couple of times and I really do enjoy it.
www.shortlist.com/entertainment/.../jon-hamm-on-mad-men-baseball-and-susan-boyl
 
 (Mad Men's Jon Hamm, who's known Rudd since they were teenagers, later jokes to me, "He still looks like he's 16. It's all that crazy virgin blood he's drinking.")
http://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a11741/paul-rudd-interview/
“He’s adorable. There’s no two ways about it,” says Hamm.
MR:    I was reading some pieces on you -- they were saying that after you arrived in LA, you went three years without getting a single acting job.
JH:    Yeah.  I got out here, I’m friends with Paul Rudd. Paul was college roommates with my high school girlfriend’s older brother. So the older brother used to come back for Christmas break, or whatever, and they were the cool, older guys, and that’s how I met him.  So I’ve known him since I was 18 years old. 
 “My first impression of him was of total intimidation,” says Paul Rudd, who met Hamm through a mutual acquaintance in St. Louis. “He struck me as one of those unfair guys who are good-looking, really funny, and good at everything.”
GQ Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment