Saturday, October 1, 2022

October 2022 - news- Jon Hamm

 https://aboutactorjonhamm.blogspot.com/2022/09/september-2022-news-jon-hamm.html
Jon Hamm Felt 'Very Lucky' To Be In 'Mad Men' & 'Bridesmaids'

Jon Hamm Dreamed of Playing Fletch
or
Hamm tells The Treatment he couldn’t get enough of the “Fletch” books as a kid in the ‘70s. He says it was important that his Fletch was not an impersonation of Chevy Chase, who played the character in two movies in the ‘80s. And Hamm says he thinks, at this moment in time, audiences want stories with real, satisfying endings where bad characters actually get their comeuppance.
Let Jon Hamm Be an A-List Movie Star, You Cowards
Post-"Mad Men," Hamm has failed to become a Hollywood leading man. "Confess, Fletch" should have changed that.
.........
And yet, despite all that, it’s hard not to feel like he could be doing more. Hamm’s post-Mad Men career has for the most part failed to live up to its promise. 
.........
Instead of carving out a path for himself as a leading man, Hamm has spent the majority of his post-Mad Men career playing against type in TV comedies. 
.......
Confess, Fletch seemed like the perfect opportunity for him to showcase his leading-man skills and level up. The only problem? Barely anyone outside of a handful of critics — all of whom are singing its praises and scratching their heads over Paramount’s decision to not give it a major theatrical release — knows it exists. There’s been virtually no marketing whatsoever for the film, which sees Hamm taking over for Chevy Chase as investigative journalist I.M. Fletcher, and instead it was released direct-to-VOD on Sept. 16. 
Good Omens Panel Highlights at New York Comic Con 2022

At the "Good Omens" panel at New York Comic Con on Friday, Hamm, along with series leads Michael Sheen and David Tennant, appeared via video conference to join Gaiman and other members of the production team and cast. The trio answered a question about when they learned that there would be a second season of the series, which premiered on Amazon Prime Video in 2019.
"I remember talking to Neil about it while we were doing press for the first season, and it sounded very exciting and very interesting potentiality," Hamm said. "But I didn't realize there would be one, and then Covid happened."
Hamm said that Gaiman "told me he had this wonderful idea that I would start by walking down the street in Soho completely nude." In turn, he thought, "Well, that's a great way to start things."
Tom Brady x Mariah Carey x Jon Hamm x Fox Sports

......Hamm’s Santa Claus is back for a second spot as part of Fox Sports’ “’Tis the FIFA World Cup” marketing campaign ahead of the men’s tournament in Qatar this fall.
“Superfan Santa” will debut at 1 p.m. on Sunday during Fox’s broadcast of the NFL match-up between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Atlanta Falcons and air across Fox’s NFL schedule. 
The 60-second spot picks up from the campaign’s premiere earlier this summer, where a vacationing Hamm discovered he wouldn’t be the only star of the holiday season—because the World Cup will be kicking off then too. This year, the tournament moves from the summer months for the first time, taking place Nov. 20-Dec. 18 in Qatar.
The new installment heads down to the North Pole, where a frustrated Santa watches soccer highlights. Ellie Kemper, as Mrs. Claus, quickly shows Hamm that the World Cup and the holiday spirit can go hand-in-hand.......
SO YOU MAY have heard that there’s a new Fletch movie out....
Hahahaha, we’re totally kidding. Of course you have not heard there’s a new Fletch movie out. You have not been inundated with billboards, surrounded by full-page ads, beset by TV spots and trailers galore. You did not know that not only has this film been out in theaters — possibly one or two near you! — since Sept. 16, but it can also be rented digitally and/or online as well. Maybe you caught Jon Hamm doing his patented Jon Hamm thing on a late-night talk show (or, more likely, saw clips on YouTube of Jon Hamm showing up on a late-night talk show) but weren’t exactly sure about the 411 of what he was promoting. What is this? When is it out? What’s he confessing to, or about? Is this a religious movie?

There is a poster, and a trailer, and the movie did get a Los Angeles premiere that allowed Hamm, director Greg Mottola, and several other cast members to walk a red carpet — we know this only because we’ve seen photographic evidence, although we’re not quite convinced this isn’t a false-flag gala event. Some reviews trickled in; the majority of them were extremely positive. But in terms of actually getting the word out that the movie exists in the first place? There’s been nada. A movie like this should not automatically fall through the cracks. That said, how do you sell something like Confess, Fletch — i.e. a comedy not featuring Will Ferrell or Ryan Reynolds, in which no Marvel heroes or Jedis or people named Harry Styles show up, and involving a film franchise that dropped its last entry prior to the first Gulf War — in the Year of Our Lord 2022?
...................
Read this interview with Mottola, and you’ll see your worst fears are more or less confirmed. In short: A star’s pet project became a joint labor of love with the director of Superbad, they were told they could make it for a certain budget, tons of potential backers passed, and no one had any clue how to market it. To quote a wise man, “That’s what the money is for!” Yet rather than throw more moolah at what couldn’t be considered a 100-percent sure thing, shoulders were shrugged. The film was released in what might be described as just north of “stealth mode,” with an equally quiet campaign for a simultaneous on-demand run. Skim the piece too quickly, and you might even miss the fact that it will end up on Showtime some time in the near future. A movie like this might have eventually found its audience on DVD, which might lead some folks to ask: What are DVDs, again?

Katie Couric: You were only 10 when you lost your mom, and 20 when you lost [your father]. I’ve been reading a lot about generational trauma and how that term has expanded to enduring a significant loss as a child, and the impact that has on you.
Jon Hamm: You’re literally a different human being. You’re made differently at that age than you are as an adult — your neural pathways are wide open when you’re younger. All of these things are still working themselves out. That kind of traumatic experience doesn’t have to be abuse. My mother died of colon cancer. That’s a big part of your existence, and it’s very much a part of mine.

Your mom must have been really young. 35 years old?
Yes — 35 years old. It wasn’t anywhere near the time for her to be screened or anything like that. It was an outlier, like cancer is sometimes.

Do you remember much about your mom’s illness?
I remember a lot of it. I remember how sudden it was. I remember there being my mom one day and then not my mom one day. Spending so much time in a hospital at that young age was very strange to me; my only experience with hospitals was with old people at that point. Not mom, who was 35 years old. It was very jarring. By the end, my mother’s cancer had really spread throughout her whole abdomen and all of her major organs. She was a shell of herself. There wasn’t any support network in the early eighties. Mental health was what they called “crazy people.” If you needed some mental health work, that meant you were going to the rubber room.

Then it was just you and your dad.
It was me and my dad. I had two half sisters who both lost their mother very young as well. But the vocabulary certainly wasn’t there. People didn’t know how to talk about that. I was given a book that said what to do with when a parent dies, written by some psychologist or social worker. But that’s not really what you need. You need to talk and have people explain and understand. Your first introduction, in many ways, to permanence is death. For most people it’s losing their dog or their grandmother.
I don’t remember so much about the aftermath. The next couple of years are very foggy for me.

Your dad probably had a hard time dealing.
His first wife passed away very suddenly as well. He had no vocabulary, no infrastructure to help, and no mental health checks. None of that.

Your dad died when you were 20.
It was in college. That’s when I really leaned on my community. My sister said, “You need to see a professional. You need to talk to somebody and you need to get back on your feet.” Part of that was getting a job, recommitting to school, and understanding in some way what was going on. It was a gut check.

You’ve really started delving into the impact of your parents’ deaths. What are you learning about yourself through therapy that has helped you in forging your relationships today?
When you lose parents at a young age, the loss is processed as abandonment.

You have to almost rewire your brain.
Kids very famously can find their way through any situation, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that that’s always good for them. Surviving something is not overcoming.

Do you think you’ll ever have kids? I’m just curious.
I’ve never had a life plan. I never really had a roadmap. Everything was always so unstable. Now that things have stabilized and I’m comfortable in my career, I would love to have kids. I think it would be great.
Jon Hamm Wore a Leotard to Shoot Top Gun Maverick | Behind the Scenes

Executive-Produced byMr Hamm 
Fox has given out an early Season 2 renewal to the Jon Hamm-led animated comedy “Grimsburg” before the show has even premiered.
The announcement was made by Michael Thorn, president of entertainment for Fox Entertainment, during a MIPCOM panel...
“’Grimsburg’ is yet another clear example of our strong commitment to, and intense focus on, upholding the high bar of standards any show must exceed in order to reside under the Animation Domination banner,” Thorn said. “Of course, having Jon Hamm’s talent and star power front and center is a great place to start. Equally important, everything we’re seeing with ‘Grimsburg’ – from the very first scripts and show bible to animatics and preliminary cuts – makes us believe we have a winner on our hands that beautifully complements our animation brand.”

Speaking to Empire for our new Review Of The Year issue, Hamm sheepishly admits that, as a 14-year-old, over the course of a 1985 summer in Florissant, Missouri, he collected the entire set of Gregory McDonald’s novels from his local bookstore – and he was not a paying customer. “Look, I couldn’t afford them,” he confesses (how apt). “But I was radically interested in reading them, and the idea of going to a library never occurred, so…”
Those books, and specifically the second in the series, form the basis of Confess, Fletch, director Greg Motttola’s reboot in which Hamm steps into the shoes of the journalist and investigator. They're big shoes to fill, but Hamm wasn't interested in trying to directly replicate the previous screen version. “You look back at the [1985] movie,” Hamm explains, “and it almost feels like a series of character sketches. Chevy has so many great ‘bits’ in it, but they probably weren’t in the script: they were things he pitched or improvised. I didn’t just want to do a Chevy Chase impression – I’ve been doing that with my friends for 30 years. I wanted the opportunity, as an actor and producer, to reboot this franchise for a whole new generation… [and] tell a really good, compelling mystery – which is what the books do.” We must confess, we're pretty excited to see it.
Read Empire's full Confess, Fletch feature – speaking to both Hamm and Mottola about their new adaptation – in the Review Of The Year issue. Thursday 27 October.
Confess, Fletch is in UK cinemas from 18 November.
use his childhood drama ad nauseum
Nudged in School to Try Everything, Jon Hamm Chose Acting
The ‘Confess, Fletch’ and ‘Mad Men’ star on a childhood of uncertainty and tragedy 
Jon Hamm, 51, is an actor best known for his role as Don Draper in the AMC series “Mad Men.” He co-starred in “Top Gun: Maverick” and stars in the films “Corner Office” and “Confess, Fletch,” which he co-produced and is on Showtime on Oct. 28. He spoke with Marc Myers.

Technically, I’m an only child, but after my parents divorced when I was 2, I never felt that way. I’ve always had a large cast of extended family members.  
From my dad’s first marriage, I had two older siblings—Jenny and Julie. On my mom’s side, I was the oldest cousin, but on my dad’s side, I was the youngest cousin. 
So I was an oldest and youngest child, depending on the family gathering. I wasn’t a middle anything, so I think that probably informed me most growing up.

After my parents separated, I lived with my mother, Deborah, in an apartment complex in Creve Coeur, a suburb of St. Louis. She worked as a secretary.
I was on my own a lot or under other people’s care, whether it was daycare or babysitters. Later, I was a latchkey kid. I lived my young life in my mind, and it was fun. I read, went to the movies or watched TV and absorbed a lot. Mom could park me in the public library for hours.  
I saw my dad, Daniel, every other weekend. We’d go to the movies or a hockey game or the Harlem Globetrotters. He owned a trucking company.

When I was 10, my mother took me to the St. Louis Art Museum. She went to use the bathroom and was gone for a long time. Eventually, I asked a woman to see if she was still there. The woman came back and said my mother wasn’t feeling well.
Soon after, she entered the hospital and had part of her colon removed. It was cancerous. Three weeks later, the phone rang at 2 a.m. at my dad’s house. He came into my room and said, “Mom’s gone.” We both cried, and that was the beginning of the rest of my life.

It’s hard to describe how I felt in kid terms. Permanence is a foreign concept for kids. “Forever” is waiting for school to be over, so the idea of an actual forever was tough to get my head around. 
By this point, my dad had sold his business, and we lived at his mother’s house in Normandy, Mo. It was a large stone house with a slate roof on 2½ acres. There was a creek out back with footbridges that were falling down. They were dangerous and fun. 

I was still pretty much on my own. My grandmother was in her 70s and my dad was selling used cars and trucks and working at an ad agency. I was in fifth grade. In school, I was a high achiever and was placed in the gifted program.  
After sixth grade, my father got me into a fancy private school, the John Burroughs School, where I remained through high school. Students were encouraged to try everything—from acting to sports. 
The drama department was run by Wayne Solomon, who is now my very good friend and colleague. He encouraged everyone—jocks, nerds, stoners, weirdos—to participate. 
Drama class was liberating and became a second family of sorts. I liked being part of a large group.

After high school, I attended the University of Texas. Over the December holidays in my sophomore year, my father died. He hadn’t been well, and his death hit me hard. I transferred to the University of Missouri and majored in English.

One day, while reading the student newspaper, I saw a theater company’s ad for student actors. I auditioned and was cast as Lysander in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” 
The head of the university’s theater department, Jim Miller, saw me perform and insisted I audition for the school’s theater program. Over the next two years, I performed in 14 plays.

When I graduated, I needed money, so I returned to St. Louis and taught high-school drama. They wanted me back for another year. But I was determined to give acting a shot.
I moved to L.A. and spent three years in minor roles. Then I landed a guest part on TV’s “Providence” in 2000 that became a main role. Bigger opportunities followed, including a major role in the film “We Were Soldiers” and the Lifetime series “The Division.” “Mad Men” followed in 2006.

Today, I live in the Beachwood Canyon section of L.A. I moved into my house in 2017. I wouldn’t mind getting a new place and having a little nest with a new vibe.
Thinking back, I never had an adult conversation with my mom. But I now can say with certainty that my mom and dad would be very proud of what I’ve accomplished. That gives me great comfort.

Confess, Fletch”? It’s the third movie installment in the “Fletch” comedy series. I play the lead, a suspect in several murders who has to clear his name. 

Downtime ? 
I like playing tennis and going for walks with my girlfriend and our dogs.
Coolest thing ? 
I have the scale model of the yacht from “Confess, Fletch.”
Don Draper ?
 I had a solid sense of Draper’s sadness and him not knowing who he was. 
Type-cast dodge ? 
Going after comic roles.
Brendan Gibbons, filmmaker behind Progressive Insurance's 
A recent project you're proud of.
- We recently did some spots for Progressive where Jon Hamm plays an ex of Flo, trying to win her back. At the end of day two, we improvised a scene where Jon gets dating advice from Jamie (played by Jim Cashman). To me, that's where the magic is. The light's fading. We've got one shot to come up with something funny. It either works or it doesn't. What could be better than that?
Jamie’s Advice | Jon Hamm | Progressive Exclusive
Elisabeth Moss is looking back at one of the Mad Men scenes she most remembered.
“It all felt very real. I have a very close relationship with Jon,” Moss said in an interview with Vanity Fair. “There was sort of like a mentor-protegé relationship there, very older brother/little sister. And so it meant something to the both of us when we did this scene.”
“That right there is real, that’s actually, those are real tears, which you know, hate to break it to you but often we’re faking it,” Moss pointed out. “He held onto my hand and didn’t let go and then kissed it. None of that was in the script, and he did it on my close-up. That right there is real Jon — the veins in his head, I can see him in that moment.”
Jon Hamm visited the AJHL Canmore Eagles and handed out the game hat to forward Kayden Smith, who scored a hat trick that day.
   
Top Gun: Maverick actor Jon Hamm was flying with the Eagles on Friday night (Oct. 28) when the die-hard hockey fan surprised the Alberta Junior A Hockey League club in its locker room following a big win in the mountain town west of Calgary.
“We had no idea he was in the building,” said Eagles forward Kayden Smith. “Usually we sing a little song after we win and our door was closed and he came in and we all just kind of got up and didn’t really know what to say.”
It was a “crazy moment” when the movie star shook hands with the stunned team, snapped photos, and congratulated them on the 5-3 victory against the Calgary Canucks at the Alex Kaleta Arena.
For scoring a hat trick, player of the game Smith would normally have been showered with caps being flung on the ice, but the sniper received a special, hand-delivered gift from the Hollywood lead.
He gave me his hat and signed it for me and everything,” said Smith, 20.
The American actor is in Alberta filming season five of Fargo.
From St. Louis, Hamm donned a Blues scarf at Friday’s game and went unnoticed in the crowd until making a grand appearance post-game.
Hamm also cheered on a pair of Missouri boys and Eagles, forward Tyler Loughman and defenceman Luke Chase. Hamm and Chase’s family know each other – former Blues winger Kelly Chase is the Eagles blueliner’s father.

No comments:

Post a Comment