Saturday, February 18, 2017

Elisabeth Moss about Hamm

Why does everybody love Jon Hamm?
 He’s a really nice person, and people respond to that. He has no idea how good he is or what he looks like. That’s fantastic, because if he did, he’d be such an asshole. [Laughs] If you’re a semidecent person, you don’t go around thinking you’re God’s gift.
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/elisabeth-moss-talks-mad-men-broadway-and-feminism
"That episode was ... sort of this eight-day bubble that we existed in, and it was something that you can only really get on television in a series where you have a four-year buildup to that episode. ... Jon [Hamm] and I are really, really, really good friends, and we have a very close relationship.
"And so for the two of us to get to spend that time together off the set, and then also to play those characters in that sort of really pivotal dramatic moment — that evening of their lives — and ... address things that we hadn't talked about in four years. ... You know, the baby, the fact that he knows about the baby ... the fact that people think that it's his baby.
"It really to me is such a beautiful representation of their relationship and their bond — which is not romantic, is not sexual, is an honest-to-goodness friendship. You know, it is just ... two people who love each other, but not in that way."
http://www.npr.org/2013/07/03/198032876/elisabeth-moss-from-naif-to-player-on-tvs-mad-men
BE: Well, just because Peggy was supposed to be so intimidated by Don at first.
EM: Oh, yeah! No, I love working with Jon, and he’s such a professional, and he’s a very funny guy. He always makes it really fun. It’s easy to do a scene with someone that good, and I think that there are some things coming…I loved what happened to them over the season, that relationship, and there are things coming up that develop that more. But I think that she has so much respect for him, and he actually has respect for her. And they’re kind of the one honest relationship in the show, as far as neither of them is trying to get something out of the other.
http://www.bullz-eye.com/television/interviews/2008/elisabeth_moss.htm
Q.Even on a project like this, your day job still follows you around?
A.Oh, yeah. Rodney [Rothman], one of our writer-producers tried to pitch me a “Mad Men” script like every single day. He kept telling me his “Mad Men” ideas. Obviously, it was a joke. My audition was basically answering questions about Jon Hamm from Nick Stoller and Jonah Hill. Eventually I was like, “Do you guys want me to read for this or should we just keep talking about Jon Hamm?”
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/a-few-minutes-with-the-margaret-mead-of-mad-men
OK, you’ve talked me into it. Before I let you go, I do want to ask about the Emmys, which are happening next month. It is an insane thing that Mad Men has never won a performing Emmy. What’s up with this? How can this be?
I know. Speaking objectively, it is difficult for me to understand [specifically] about Jon [Hamm]. Because I just feel that he is Mad Men — he is the show. So it’s difficult for me to understand the sort of reverence that the show is treated with, and then … I don’t get it.
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/grantland-qa-elisabeth-moss-plus-podcast/
Yes, as Elizabeth Moss will later say to me, losing both his parents surely had an impact on how he plays Don, because how could it not? "Other people could play cool, or drunk, or a philanderer," she says. "But his experience of having lost at an early age is the main reason he is able to bring that deep sadness to Don."
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/jon-hamm-british-gq-september-cover-issue-pictures-interview
 
"Jon gets a lot of comparisons to old movie stars like Gary Cooper," Moss says. "They're correct, but not because of the way he looks. To me, what makes him similar to those movie stars is you don't know if they were going to hit you or kiss you or start crying. In 'The Suitcase,' when he breaks down and cries … it was so personal and raw it was almost uncomfortable for me. To see a man who seems to have it all break down like that is so powerful."
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/04/news/la-en-jon-hamm-20110804
 
The actress reveals she was wracked with nerves when she was invited to Wrigley Field for the honour, so she turned to Hamm, who was once considered for the Major Leagues and still plays the sport in his spare time, to help perfect her throwing skills.
 He took her to New York’s Central Park and Moss is still surprised no one spotted them during their sporting sessions.
 She says, “The only sporty thing I’ve ever done was I threw out the first pitch at a Chicago Cubs game…
 “It’s terrifying and it’s a long way (to throw the ball)… I got Jon Hamm to coach me. He’s a baseball player, so we went to Central Park and he coached me and nobody saw us, which is weird because it’s like, (their Mad Men characters) Don and Peggy playing baseball in Central Park! No one cared.
“He tried to teach me how not to bounce it… It was a lot of follow through… stepping through… It was all about the preparation…”
http://www.hollywood.com/general/elisabeth-moss-recruited-jon-hamm-for-baseball-pitch
 
"I'm really good at Catch Phrase and Heads Up!," she says, referring to two word games that became obsessions on the Mad Men set. But her real talent may lie in the card game Speed, at which her greatest adversary is costar Jon Hamm. "We got into a game that was so intense, we actually didn't play for like a year or two," she explains. "Just basically to preserve our working relationship. It was deemed best." She pauses, then adds: "I did win that game by the way. Just for the record."
http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a11188/elisabeth-moss-interview/
 
at PEOPLE Magazine Awards
"There are many admirable qualities about Jon Hamm. He is exceptionally talented, he's incredibly smart, like, annoyingly so. Like Don has been for Peggy, he has been a mentor, a creative partner, someone who challenged me to be better all the time. All I ever wanted to do for nine years in scenes with him was make him proud of me."
Elisabeth Moss joins us and like all good actresses she chimes in on cue. ‘Don’s prehistoric, but Jon is a very modern man’, she tells me.
He’s polite, chivalrous, opens doors for me, even brings coffee for me off set, and I get very much spoilt by him.
dailymail.co.uk/Mad-Mens-Don-Draper-played-nerd-says-actor-Jon-Hamm
Moss, who is number one on the call sheet of the Hulu drama, has bought donuts for the cast and crew in an effort to lift spirits on this chilly Monday.
I learned from Jon [Hamm] on ‘Mad Men’ that you do have a responsibility as number one to not only be professional, but to be as positive as you can,” Moss says. Hence the treats for the crew, most of whom had also worked all day Sunday
Elisabeth Moss is looking back at one of the Mad Men scenes she most remembered.
It all felt very real. I have a very close relationship with Jon,” Moss said in an interview with Vanity Fair. “There was sort of like a mentor-protegé relationship there, very older brother/little sister. And so it meant something to the both of us when we did this scene.”
“That right there is real, that’s actually, those are real tears, which you know, hate to break it to you but often we’re faking it,” Moss pointed out. “He held onto my hand and didn’t let go and then kissed it. None of that was in the script, and he did it on my close-up. That right there is real Jon — the veins in his head, I can see him in that moment.”

No comments:

Post a Comment